Job description/Person specification
Our team based at the QinetiQ British Underwater Test & Evaluation Centre (BUTEC) are seeking an Electrical/Electronics Engineer to join their existing team in Kyle of Lochalsh maintaining and supporting the function.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to work in a challenging area. Very few positions such as this exist where you can be exposed to such a wide range of technologies in a relatively brief time. QinetiQ as a company provides many benefits, including very good training programmes with coaching and mentoring support. We are looking for somebody who would appreciate working in such an environment, is keen on new technology and can help support and grow our business.
- Undertake maintenance, repair, operation and calibration of Underwater Targets & their support & ancillary equipment as directed.
- Deployment & operation of equipment at sea
- Maintain technical knowledge and competency for UMAT Operations and Maintenance with;
- Work in the marine environment, on-board commercial and RN platforms. Seagoing activities on surface vessels.
- Use of group paperwork (Defect reporting & Record keeping) and Equipment Database data entry within a ISO9001:2000 environment.
- Setting up temporary turnaround facilities in the UK and abroad as required.
Education / Qualification Requirements:
- Educated to minimum of HNC level in Electrical/Electronic engineering or equivalent.
- Experience of DC circuits, such as those used in small vehicles, in particular boats and other electric vehicles.
- Broad knowledge of electrical, electronic circuitry and components. and a demonstrated ability to work ‘hands-on’ from first principles to safely diagnose electrical and electronic issues (to board level) and implement prompt, effective and safe repair schemes.
- Ability to interpret Electronic and Electrical drawings.
- Basic mechanical skills in order to assemble and disassemble the targets.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles.
- Be literate with the operation of computers and common software packages, in particular basic operating knowledge of Microsoft office Word and Excel (training could be provided).
Advantageous, but not required initially (as training can be provided):
- STCW ‘95 Sea Survival Training.
- Experience of working in the marine environment and on-board surface ships.
- Ability to carry out safe isolation of electrical circuits in order to carry out maintenance.
- Knowledge of electrical, electronic circuitry and components.
- Battery maintenance for Lithium Ion Batteries & Silver Zinc Batteries.
- DC power drive systems.
- Open and closed loop control systems.
- Ability to use Electronic / Electrical drawing packages such as ORCAD, Autocad electrical / Solidworks electrical, schematic capture tools (Visio).
- Willingness to work in potential harsh working environment during winter.
- Willingness to undertake training to be competent in technical, environmental and health and safety issues applicable to the job.
- Willingness to travel when required to do so in support of Target detachments.
- Flexibility to support short notice trials and long working hours.
- Methodical, with attention to detail.
- Honesty, able to admit when a mistake has been made, embracing mistakes as a chance to positively learn.
- Lateral thinker.
- Task and Team focussed, with a collaborative approach.
- High integrity.
- Risk aware.
- Able to follow processes and procedures.
- Present a good impression of a QinetiQ professional.
- Potential harsh working environment during winter.
- Short notice adaptations to plans due to customer requirements or weather.
This role will require the holder to be able to obtain full security clearance.