Lack of energy access in sub-Saharan Africa is a significant problem, with more than 600 million people currently without mains electricity supply. In Rwanda, 9.5 million people or 81% of the population cannot access mains electricity, which has a negative impact on quality of life and limits people’s chances of achieving economic prosperity.
BBOXX is helping to address this issue by providing off-grid communities in developing countries with smart, affordable and clean energy solutions. BBOXX customers typically use a Pay-As-You-Go payment method, which offers more access to people who are able to have electricity at home at a price they can afford. To date BBOXX has installed more than 150,000 systems and provided around 750,000 people with access to energy.
Check out our impact here http://www.bboxx.co.uk/customers/
Reporting to Electrical Engineering Lead
As an Electronic Design Engineer at BBOXX you will work alongside a growing team of hardware engineers, firmware engineers, software developers, data scientists and designers to produce market-leading products for the off-grid energy sector across the developing world.
Your role will be to assist the hardware development team to produce the next generation of products which will allow us to scale up our global operations in both solar products and now more.
You will have experience designing and developing electronics from inception into medium-large volume manufacture. The core of the hardware we produce are low-cost, GSM connected, off-grid systems.
- Design considerations for off-grid power systems.
- Capturing requirements and converting them into viable design specifications alongside a small cross domain team.
- Developing new electronics designs which can be produced in medium-high volume in a cost-efficient manner.
- Prototyping, testing and verifying your designs.
- Maintaining, enhancing and supporting existing products.
- Organising design files, test plans and documentation of final designs to ensure easy handover to our manufacturing partners and support teams in London and around the world.
- Working with our manufacturing team in Asia to assist with all stages of production.
- 5+ years professional experience in circuit design and simulation, schematic entry and PCB layout using industry stand tools (Altium).
- Proven analog and power supply design and debug experience
- Proven battery management and charging circuit design .
- Capable rapid prototyper to quickly test and demonstrate design ideas, using both through-hole and fine-pitch SMT components.
- Strong lab skills, including the use of common test and measurement equipment to debug complex electronic circuits.
- Effective communicator, ‘can-do’ attitude and engaging team worker
Desirable, but not essential
An understanding of DFM (design for manufacturing) and DFT (design for testing) to ensure successful medium-high volume production
Working knowledge and experience in RF (2G, 4G, BT) designs a big plus
Firmware development for microcontrollers (e.g. ARM STM Series) in C
- Based in Chiswick
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free breakfasts on Monday morning plus fresh fruit, hot drinks and biscuits every day.
- BBOXX Sandboxx days – once a fortnight day to work on a self-driven project that you believe could have a benefit to your work or BBOXX generally.
- Regular socials – BBOXX organises monthly social events which can be proposed by anyone on the team. This could be anything from a picnic in the park to laser tag or the regular pub quiz.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
|Job Category||Design, development, Electrical installation, Engineer, production, technical support, technology, testing|