Purpose of the Role
To manage and provide warranty support for Network Rail owned assets including all vehicles within the Plain Line Rail Grinding fleet to ensure that maximum availability and reliability is achieved. Ensure that equipment is sourced in accordance with relevant standards, procedures & legislation.
To drive a culture of continuous improvement and lead as a Change Agent within the business to contribute towards; improving the Quality Standards, Increasing output through improving production utilisation & efficiency (people & equipment) and reducing year-on-year product cost movements, through the identification and elimination of unnecessary complexity and developing ‘best practices’.
Track warranty in Network Rail’s Software – Fleet Asset Management System (FAMS), ensure best warranty available for the price, ensure repairs are carried out to the correct specification and also ensure parts are sourced to achieve lowest whole life cost matching or improving upon the OEM specification. Continuous review on pricing and value driven sourcing of parts to reduce cost.
Key Success Measures
- Safety – Actively demonstrate support for the implementation of the Colas Rail Limited Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated with the safe operational delivery and performance of Rail Grinding machines and crew.
- Profitability – Ensure through the optimisation of machine performance and staff competencies that services are delivered to the expectations of all customers with regard to quality and quantity, driving performance related penalty charges towards zero.
- Quality – The reputation of Colas is significantly influenced by the effectiveness and quality of the services we deliver and the competence and professionalism of the staff delivering and managing (real time) those services, the post holder must ensure that operating crews have the necessary training and competence to safely and consistently deliver the quality demanded by today’s railway.
- Respect – Treat people in a fair and consistent way at all times and work to understand internal and external client’s needs and requirement.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Accountability
- Lead the quality and warranty management process
- Develop warranty procedures and manuals
- Communicate fault and liability information to the relevant internal and external suppliers in order to obtain robust interim and permanent corrective actions aimed at warranty prevention and cost reduction
- Provide and manage a framework for the warranty returns, customer concerns and the company problem solving/root cause analysis system
- Review suppliers’ processes and manufacturing procedures. Challenge suppliers where necessary. Where appropriate negotiate liability with the supplier and ensure they implement corrective actions
- Lead supplier evaluation audits to determine their capability to meet production requirements
- Conduct detailed trend analysis of warranty return parts, claims, costs and exposure going forward to determine corrective and preventative actions to support both Production and Supplier
- Ensure lessons learned from warranty analysis are communicated across all product/customer platforms ad captured on new projects within DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) /PFMEA (Process Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) /CP (Process Capability)
- Inform and advise management on budgetary preparation on future warranty spend
- Promote the use of customer preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), and Measurement System Analysis
- Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality
- Undertake special projects as required
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Produce written reports and make presentations
- Any other reasonable duties as required
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or equal by experience, technical background
- PTS or capable of achieving PTS
- Emergency First Aid
- Designated Person
- Training and assessing qualification is desirable
- Previous experience of working in with a Quality
- Project management skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word & Excel
- Possess a demonstrable knowledge of the output and capability of On Track Machines operated by Colas
- Be assertive, confident and fair when dealing with any issues and be a proven team player with a logical searching mind
- Demonstrate a personal ambition and desire to succeed.
- Remain focused and driven especially in challenging times.
- Work effectively to display and promote a “one team” approach.
- Champion, support and deliver change to improve the service we provide to our customers.
- Listen and respond to the needs of our clients
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with all our clients.
- Develop pragmatic solutions to complex issues that could change the way we do things.
- Energy – ‘Get up and go’ attitude of a leader
- Energise – Lead, manage and inspire my team
- Edge – Maximise my personal edge
- Execute – Make things happen
- Engage – Stay close to the client
Colas Rail in the United Kingdom values and encourages diversity in our workforce, regardless of background, disability or gender. As part of our aim to deliver quality services, we are committed to promoting equality and eliminating discrimination.
Colas Rail currently works with a number of approved recruitment suppliers. We will therefore not consider CVs or speculative proposals from any other agencies. Recruitment agencies not currently approved as preferred suppliers are kindly requested not to submit speculative CVs to any part of Colas Rail.