KEEPING MOISTURE AWAY
High-energy lithium-ion batteries must be produced in environments where the levels of humidity are consistently kept at less than 1%. This is because lithium as a metal reacts with any water vapour that may be present, forming lithium hydroxide, hydrogen and heat.
Water vapour acts as a catalyst, so any lithium exposed to humidity levels in excess of 1% results in poorer battery quality, reduced performance and shorter shelf life. It can also be a source of danger in production areas as well as risking the safety of plant employees.
That’s why it’s absolutely essential that the levels of moisture in the air inside lithium-ion battery manufacturing facilities and the advanced-technology dry rooms used there are kept as low as possible and as constant as possible. Energy costs are a big issue here, because high operating costs only eat into your profit margins.
Even moisture from human bodies has a relatively big effect on the very low humidity levels that have to be adhered to in such high-tech facilities. This is a big technical challenge — one that very few suppliers of dehumidification systems can tackle.
BETTER CONTROL AT LOWER COST
In the manufacture of lithium-ion cells, the alkaline materials used for cathodes, anodes and electrolytes are exceptionally sensitive to moisture. This means manufacturers need to keep the air in their dry rooms at dew points far lower than in the ambient air. Target levels of -60°C and relative humidity of 0.5% are common.
Humidity Solutions are the exclusive UK distributor for Cotes range of desiccant dehumidifiers from Denmark. These dehumidifiers are specially designed and configured to achieve the tight control and ensure the remarkable levels of reliability essential in lithium-ion battery manufacture and assembly.
Good control of manufacturing conditions in lithium-ion battery plants is one thing — achieving this at reasonable cost is another. In addition to being highly reliable, these desiccant dehumidifiers provide you with an exceptionally energy-efficient way to maintain the necessary degree of meticulous control over conditions. Thermal recovery installations can be fitted, too. And lower energy costs mean higher profits.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Exceptional control of clean room manufacturing conditions
- Better electrolyte performance, better product quality
- Reduced energy consumption, lower operating costs
- Maximum production uptime
- Lower service and maintenance costs
HOW HUMIDITY SOLUTIONS STAND OUT
- Capable of removing uncontrolled humidity from very large volumes of air
- Exceptional reliability – important for operations-critical environments
- Easy to configure to specialist requirements in lithium-ion battery manufacture, even with dew points as low as -74.5°C.
- Designed to achieve exceptionally low energy consumption and operating costs
- Available with advanced monitoring and control systems for maximum flexibility
- More than 100 installations in lithium-ion battery manufacturing facilities worldwide